Monday, February 8, 2010

Triathlon Training Schedule

Today I created my training plan for my Olympic Distance Triathlon on April 25th, St. Anthony's Triathlon.  The race distances are:

Swim 1.5K (.93 miles)
Bike 40K (25 miles)
Run 10K (6.2 miles)

This is the first time I have done an Olympic Distance Triathlon, so my goals for this race will be to finish (but not last!) and to have fun with the training.  I know there are much more intense training schedules out there, but this is what I am planning to do, with the hope that it "gets me through the race".  I am not trying to win any awards or anything crazy. 

Here is my overall training plan for each leg of the race (along with a few pictures from triathlons last summer):


Swim (that's me, #229)


The biggest concern for me is the swimming portion of the triathlon, so I have decided to follow the  >Zero to 1650 plan, which is a six week program to build you up to one mile, or 1650 meters, of swimming.   I have decided to follow the plan as written, and commit to swimming three times a week.  My six week time period will start on March 2, and will end on April 11 with my one mile swim!   At this time, I will still have two weeks left before the race to taper and focus on some open water swims. 









Bike (before buying a road bike)


I will do one "long" bike ride each weekend.  My official bike training will start in March with a long ride of 10 miles.  My plan right now is to increase my long bike ride by 5 miles each week, with a peak of 25 miles at the beginning of April.  I wanted to space out my 25 mile bike ride and my one mile swim to make sure that they didn't occur the same weekend in the training plan.   I am also hoping to fit in one other biking workout during the week.  I have no idea if 5 miles extra a week will seem easy or hard, so of course this could change as I get into the training. 








Run


My training plan for the run is still loosely defined at this point.  I want to see how I feel after the half marathon on February 28th, and I will continue to do a "long" run on the weekends throughout the triathlon training.  If I am feeling up to it, I will peak with a 15K run for the >Iron Girl 15K in Clearwater on April 10th, which is two weeks before the triathlon.  Because I need to focus on biking and swimming during my training, if the runs become too hard, I will stay with a max run of 6 miles throughout the triathlon training.   I am also hoping to fit in one other running workout during the week.



Transitions and Bricks
The weekends on my training schedule are the only time during my training that I will work on the transitions between swimming and biking (is there a name for this?), and biking and running (called bricks).  Saturday I will swim and bike back to back, and then Sunday just run.  The next weekend, I will swim on Saturday, and then bike and run back to back on Sunday.  Sounds easy, right? 

Looks like I need to warn my husband that I am going to have no social life for the months of March and April.  Right now it looks like I am going to need lots of healthy food and a lot of good sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment