Friday, February 19, 2010

Avocados

I have been on an avocado kick lately...perhaps its my love of Mexican food or my desire for warm weather (which makes me think of Mexican food), but pretty much everything is better with avocados!

Guacomole would be my first choice if I have some extra calories to use. Its simple and easy to make.

1 avocado
1 tablespoons of low fat sour cream (This can easily be skipped if you need to save calories it depends on the consistency you like. Most of the time I skip it!)
1 tablespoon of garlic
Squirt of lime juice
Optional: Sometimes I add diced tomatoes with a dash of olive oil to make it a more salsa like topping.

Sometimes I make this and eat it plain or with blue corn chips. Other times I make a taco bowl (minus the shell) and just have meat, cheese and my avocado salsa on top. Its YUMMY!

Lately I have just been taking 1/2 an avocado, slicing it into tiny pieces, mashing it together and eating it plain or putting it on my sandwhich at lunch. Its the easy and a normal size avocado is only 50 calories. The fat content is high, but its healthy fat. As long as you eat it in moderation (which is hard sometimes) its great to work this into your diet.

Avocado Facts
Did you know that the avocado has over 20 beneficial nutrients in it? According to Healthy Living avocados also have the following benefits.

- Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are thought to help prevent many chronic diseases.

- Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, including 4% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for vitamin E, 4% vitamin C, 8% folate, 4% fiber, 2% iron, 4% potassium, with 81 micrograms of lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene.

- Avocados act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene as well as lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.

So have yourself a fiesta this weekend and enjoy some healthy fats. My avocado is waiting for me with my weekly skinny maragarita tonight.

Tomorrow is the last day of my official Jillian challenge. I am excited to re-take my measurements!

No comments:

Post a Comment