Sunday, January 3, 2010

Healthy Start - On Demand

One of my "to-do's" while on vacation was to try out Exercise TV. Its free with our monthly cable subscription and I was hoping the yoga section would help me with my weekly goal of getting a yoga class in once a week. Given it was 5 degrees when I woke up this morning and its the last day of vacation, I figured it was a good time to check this off the list.

Wow, was I surprised. First I started this workout in my pj's thinking it would be an "easy" day. I was wrong. I did the 45 minute Yoga Fitness Fusion which mixed yoga moves with cardio moves (i.e. squats and running in place) to get your heart rate up. I wish I would have worn my heart rate monitor. My guess is I burned more calories then an average yoga stretch workout, probably around 200, which is decent for stretching and strength training. I liked the workout so much that I looked through some of the other classes offered. You can go online and check the current listings. They change them each month.

Exercise TV on Demand

The program offers trainers such as Jackie Warner, Jillian Michaels, Carmen Electra (not a trainer I know, but supposedly dancing is a good workout) and more. For now, I am definitely keeping this on my list for the days when I don't want to go outside!!

After yoga I decided to keep on my healthy kick and make a vegetarian quesadilla with sprouts, black beans and swiss cheese. It was so filling I should of only eaten 1/2. I am hoping I can make this ahead of time and take 1/2 to work the next day. Next time I will probably skip the sprouts. They tasted like grass...not so great. I am sure they are good for you though :) I added a few left over pita chips on the side.


I start back to work tomorrow at a new client so I am hoping with all the schedule changes I can figure out a way to incorporate a healthy lunch. For now I am packing granola and greek yogurt for breakfast, ham and swiss roll-ups (basically no bread) with an pineapple for lunch and a Lara bar for a snack. We'll see how the calorie counting goes away from home! Its been a while.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best on your new project! So smart of you to plan your healthy eating! I LOVE greek yogurt...fills you up and has so much more protein! Fortunately, Haiku and Nortstar are close!!

    Thanks so much for the tips on Exercise TV! It will be nice to do something at home instead of going to the gym and putting Addie into childcare...plus, she would probably get a kick out of me doing a dance workout :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Our first comment that isn't a family member!!

    ReplyDelete