Saturday, January 30, 2010

Clean Eating?

Over the past year or so I have been trying to adjust my diet to be more "clean." I recently read Jillian's (yes I know, I am a semi-stalker) Master Your Metabolism book and part of it talks about the effect of fake ingredients on your body and how it makes your body respond. I know this is the "trendy" diet these days, but it does make a lot sense.

For example, when you eat something like is sugar-free or fat-free, not only are non-natural ingredients added in the product to make it that way but your body focuses on the fact that there is sugar in those products and
craves more, especially if the product is low calorie. So you really are getting nothing out of your low calorie snack.

For the most part I have tried to cut these type of snacks out, however there are a few that I can't cut the
habit on...

1. Diet Coke
2. Sugar Free Pudding
3. Cool Whip

Last year I gave up Diet Coke for 3 mos and then just couldn't take it anymore. I am like the old Diet Coke commercial when the woman watch the construction workers. Everyday at 1pm I need my break. I stick to one a day and in the summer I try to substitute iced tea or green tea. This is something I need to work on...

I have cut out all other snack bars, processed foods etc. with the exception of Kashi bars, Luna Bars and my Lara bars which are at least 80% organic. Now critics would say that this isn't really "clean" but its a start I guess. The biggest change for me was breakfast and bread.

For
breakfast I almost always eat granola, oatmeal or greek yogurt. I cut out all light/fat free yogurt and make sure that the granola is organic (thanks to Trader Joes). For lunch I take Dietson Watson lunch meat, which is the healthiest, most natural I can find and Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat bread. I only take one slice of bread since its not low calorie, but is made out of real ingredients. Sometimes I skip the bread and just make a wrap with low moisture swiss cheese.

For a snack its usually
Wasa Crackers and peanut butter or my Lara Bars. Lately I have switched it up with some trail mix too.

Switching to a "clean" diet wasn't a big weight loss tool for me, however I will say my cravings are much less. I still need to work on the sugar free products and Diet Coke but I would like to think that I am working towards living a healither life!

With all that said, I am looking for ways to
spice up the daily eating. My sister-in-law who follows a similiar eating style recently sent me this Oatmeal Custard Recipe. Its delicious and super easy to make. I am still trying to figure out how I can eat this in the car on the way to work in the morning, but if not its a great weekend treat!

Oatmeal Custard (A Weight Watcher Recipe)
2 3/4 c. water
1 cup uncooked rolled oats ( not quick cook or instant)
1/2 c egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
1/4 c. sugar or sugar substitute
1 1/3 c. skim or fat free milk
1/2 t. vanilla
1/8 t. salt
1/3 c. dried, fresh or frozen fruit ( I have used fresh and frozen peaches and berries)
1/2 t. cinnamon

Boil 2 3/4 c. water and stir in oats. Return to boil, reduce heat and continue to boil. Cook uncovered about 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.

In large bowl mix, egg, sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Add the cooked oatmeal, fruit and cinnamon. Pour into 8 inch square pan coated with cooking spray. Place pan in larger pan of hot water ( this is what makes the custard consistency). Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set.


I used organic frozen rasberries and Truvia, which is supposed to be a "natural" sugar substitue. The picture above shows the pre-cooked custard in the "hot water bath."

The calories are as follows:
156 calories ( if using sugar), 2 g. fat, 7g protein, 30g carbs, 3 g. fiber

Tonight is pizza night in my house because my step-daughter is having a sleep-over. My goal is to a eat a Kashi Frozen meal and have a "skinny margarita" as my treat. (For those of you reality TV fans out there this is Bethany Frankel's recipe from The Real Housewives. The goal is NO pizza! I have worked too hard this week with my Jillian Challenge to blow it. My husband and I are on season 3 of Entourage so I am pretty excited to watch it tonight and relax! Today I did a Jillian workout and 60 min of yoga. I am ready to sit!

Let me know if anyone tries this oatmeal custard recipe....I am interested to see if others like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment