Monday, January 25, 2010

Water Consumption

This morning started off with an unevenful 4.5 mile run.  It's still hard to believe that I am doing such a "long run" before work, but I love the feeling of starting off my day on a healthy note.

One of my goals for the 31 Day Challenge is to drink at least 48 oz of water each day.  I know that water is important, especially on days with an intense workout, but I never really took the time to understand why water was important for my body. 

So I decided to look it up online and now I will share with you what I found:

According to the Mayo Clinic Website,  "Water is your body's principal chemical component, making up, on average, 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water. For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.  Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired."

When I first read this, it really caught my attention that mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.  Maybe this is why I always get tired around 3pm at work! 

I am one of the few people that I know that has no problem drinking tap water.  I even know people that will only drink certain types of bottled water!  I don't understand it at all.  What about you?  Will you drink tap water?

No comments:

Post a Comment