Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recipe Review: Baked Spring Rolls with Crab

I enjoy trying new recipes when I have the time to cook in the evenings.  I have been craving stir fry the past few days, so I decided to try these Baked Spring Rolls with Crab to go with my stir fry.   Here is the recipe:

Baked Spring Rolls with Crab

I made three modificaitons to the recipe:
1.  I used egg roll wrappers instead of phyllo dough (since I couldn't find it at Super Target).
2. I left out the crab meat since I don't care for seafood.  I did make a few with crab for my husband to try.
3. I baked the spring rolls inside a silicone pan sprayed with Pam.

I was quite pleased with the result.  The tops did not get as crispy as I had hoped, and I think that was due to the pan I used. Next time I would bake on a cookie sheet, or something else with no sides.  The edges were nice and crispy. 

I really liked the taste of the spring rolls, and it's great to know that I can make these as a healthy alternative at home. 

Check out all these vegetables.  It was enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow! 





















My Stir Fry included:
  • Carrots
  • Snap Peas
  • Broccoli
  • Water Chesnuts
  • Red Pepper
  • White Onion
  • Bean Sprouts
  • Along with a little canola oil and soy sauce

Here is my final masterpiece.  I dipped the spring roll in sweet and sour sauce, and had brown rice with my stir fry.





















It feels good to have a nice, healthy dinner while watching the Biggest Loser!!

Do you watch the Biggest Loser?   Do you think it motivates you to be healthy?  I get annoyed with all the product placement on the show (Extra gum in a Ziploc bag at Subway, anyone?) but I still watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment