Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pace Groups

I found out yesterday that the half marathon  I am doing in February is going to have Pace Groups.  I was so excited to hear this becuase I have never had this during a race, but I think it will really help me!

My finish time for my first half marathon was 2:38:49, which is an average pace of 12:07 per mile.   My goal for this half marathon will be to run with the 11:30/mile pace group, for a finish time of 2:30. 

I have been using the Galloway method of training for most of my runs, which involves talking walking breaks while running. This means I would not be able to stay with the pace group the whole time, but in theory I should be able to run a little faster than the pace group, and cross paths with them again when I slow down for a quick walk.   Or really, just make sure I never let the pace group pass me! 

I completed my long run of 5 miles yesterday on the treadmill.  It was so boring!  I really wanted to run outside yesterday, but it's still so cold, I couldn't bring myself to do it.  The Nike cold weather fleece I bought seems like it would be good for running when it's 60 degrees, not 30. I wore it as my jacket to the gym and the guy at the front desk was making fun of the bright purple color.  He told me it burned his retinas!  I think that makes it a good jacket for running outside, because I know people will see me, but maybe not such a good jacket to wear around town to run errands.  My 5 miles, which included a few minutes of walking to warm up took me 61 minutes.

I am looking forward to increasing my distances each weekend as it gets closer to the race.  My longest run prior to the race will be 10 miles, and it will be the weekend before the race.  It's going to be here before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment