Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Breakfast of Champions (and a good dinner recipe!)

Breakfast
This week I have continued with my pre-packing on Sunday and modified my breakfast to include more protein and fiber to keep me full. I do not eat anything after breakfast until lunch which is usually around 12:00 or 12:30. Breakfast is usually around 8:00 am on my way to work after the gym.


The breakfast includes the following:

1 tablespoon of roasted flax seeds (1/2 a serving)
1/2 serving of Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 serving of Trader Joes Country Pumpkin Granola

I pre-measured the flax seed and granola in 5 containers on Sunday and then add the yogurt in the morning before I leave for the gym. If I am hungry when I wake up and need something to get me through the workout I either have 1/2 a serving of the Trader Joes Very Green Juice or lowfat chocolate milk. Its enough to give me a few calories but not upset my stomach.

Dinner
For dinner tonight I modified a chicken noodle soup recipe from the January/February 2010 issue of Cooking Light. I made it in the crock pot and plugged it in on low this morning. I am eating it as I write this and it is yummy! Here is what I did...

Add the following ingredients to the crock pot the night before.

4 chicken breasts (mine were frozen)
2 cups of water
32 ounce carton of chicken broth
1/2 cup of onion (I just cut 1/2 of an onion)
salt and pepper as desired
One large bag of mixed vegetables. I used the Traders Joes Organic Foursome mix and 1/2 a bag of lima beans. In my mind you can never add too many veggies!
2 tablespoons of flat leaf parsley

In the morning plug the crockpot in. 45 minutes prior to eating, shred the chicken if it does not already fall apart and add 6 ounces of whole wheat pasta.

The meal according to Cooking Light has the following nutrional information for approximately 1 cup.

Calories: 237
Fat: 4.8g
Protein: 22g
Carb: 239g
Fiber: 1.7g
Chol: 50mg
Iron: 1.8mg
Calc: 28mg

More to Come...
Megan is training for an upcoming 1/2 marathon in February. It has gotten me thinking about my next race goal and how important nutrition and meal planning is while training. Stay tuned for more details about my new challenge!

How to you prepare your meals ahead of time? What goals do you have this race season?

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I really enjoy reading it everyday. I also like to use my crockpot for dinner to prepare meals ahead of time. It's so nice to come home from work and have dinner ready.
    -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the crockpot soup today and it was very good. I put whole wheat tortellini in it so that the kids would eat it!

    ReplyDelete