Monday, March 1, 2010

Recovery Day

I took the day off work because I thought it would be nice to have a recovery day after the half marathon yesterday.

I slept until 9:30am this morning, so I must have needed the sleep.  I guess it's a good thing  I didn't have to drag myself out of bed this morning to go to work.

I literally had nothing planned for today, but I realized I was in desperate need of a haircut and it was a good day to suck it up and go get my hair cut.  For some reason, I hate getting my hair cut.  I think it's because I am forced to sit in the chair and just do nothing while making small talk with someone I don't know.  

Here is the before picture:

 

And after (ignore my weird smile, I am still perfecting the self portraits LOL)


I also stopped at the grocery on the way home since I needed food to pack for my lunches this week.  While at the grocery, I decided to buy spinach so I could try the "Green Monster" that I have seen all over the blogging world lately. 

My Green Monster contained two cups of packed in spinach, half a banana, and one cup of 1% milk, all mixed together in the blender.  The outcome...


It was actually surprisingly good!  It really tasted like banana, and I could barely taste the milk or the spinach.  I know others make this with vanilla flavored rice milk, so next time I will try adding a little vanilla flavoring to the mix to give it a little more flavor.  I wouldn't say "I love the taste" but it's a great way to eat a lot of spinach and there will definitely be more Green Monsters in my future!

For anyone who does not have pets this may seem gross, but I let my cat Max lick the jar that I use to make smoothies.  He loves yogurt, which is what I usually use to make smoothies, so he knows the sound of the blender and knows he is going to get some yogurt.  Well, today I thought I would test out his kitty taste buds with the Green Monster.

I couldn't believe it, but he liked it too!  Such a well rounded kitty.


I am about as sore today as I expected to be, with the exception of my right knee/leg that was bothering me during the race, which is still pretty sore.  I have been trying to walk a lot today, and I am planning to do yoga this afternoon for a good stretch

I also have a volleyball game tonight, which sounds painful right now, but I know from past experience that it's actually a great way to force myself to move and stretch my muscles, and once I start playing, my soreness usually goes away.

Do you force yourself to workout even when you are sore, or do you take it as a sign that your body needs rest?  I think it's ok to workout when I am a little bit sore, but I don't feel bad about taking a few days off after running 13.1 miles yesterday.   I was hoping to start the swimming portion of my triathlon training plan tomorrow, but I am going to wait until Wednesday and see how I feel.

2 comments:

  1. I love the hair Megan! I want to cut mine off too, but I'm afraid my head will look like a giant parade float! I've been wanting to try a green monster but I'm afraid all of the ingredients won't fit into my magic bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica :) I pretty much filled that jar with spinach - I just keep pushing it into the bottom. You should try it in the magic bullet. Other posters are claiming more energy, clearer skin, and faster recovery from workouts!

    ReplyDelete