Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Own Indoor Garden

Hello!  

I am happy to report that I am now only minimally sore after running the half marathon on Sunday.  I think by tomorrow I might even be ready for a short run to see how it feels.

In my latest edition of Cuisine at Home magazine, I found a very useful tip about scallions - you can grow them yourself!

I don't have a green thumb, so I never really thought about this, but when I buy scallions at the grocery, they have the roots on the end of the bunch. 

According to the magazine, after you cut the roots off the scallions, you just place them in a glass of water and they grow back.  I had some at home so I decided to experiment.  I only cut half the bunch, and I put them all in a glass.  Here is what they looked like after only 36 hours...



Can you see how the shorter ones are growing from the inside layers?  I can't believe how fast they are growing!!  

I always hate spending money on scallions because I never use the whole bunch, but now I know I can keep a growing supply at home.  The only other advice was to change the water quite often in order to keep it fresh. 

Do you have a garden or grow any of your own food? 

No comments:

Post a Comment