Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Doctor, Recipes and Wednesday Links!

Doctor
Random title I know, but its been a random week. I am still sick, actually waiting to go to the doctor as we speak and haven't worked out since Sunday! I am a little freaked out by that but given I attempted to make it around the block yesterday and had to sit down after a dizzy spell, I decided my body was telling me to rest! So I am listening for once. So we'll see what the doctor says, hopefully I can at least work in some end of the week workouts!

Recipes
Before the sickness struck I made a really good chicken recipe that we have been eating this week. Thankfully I still have a little bit of an appetite.


The recipe called for 4 pieces of chicken but since these were big pieces I only used 3. The Cooking Light recipe is as follows:

Ingredients

  • 1/2  cup  (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
  • 1  tablespoon  reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1  teaspoon  fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 4  (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 2  tablespoons  2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1  large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1  cup  panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1 1/2  tablespoons  butter, divided
  • 6  tablespoons  finely chopped drained bottled roasted red bell peppers
  • 2  teaspoons  water
  • 1  teaspoon  Worcestershire sauce
  • 1  teaspoon  minced fresh garlic
  • 1/2  teaspoon  hot sauce

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff cheese mixture evenly into pockets.
3. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Place panko in a shallow dish. Working with 1 chicken breast half at a time, dredge chicken in flour, then dip in egg mixture; dredge in panko. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, flour, egg mixture, and panko.
4. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan; swirl until butter melts. Arrange chicken in pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; place skillet in oven. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until done.
5. While chicken bakes, combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, bell peppers, water, Worcestershire, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook until butter melts. Remove from heat, and stir in hot sauce. Serve sauce with chicken.

Mark Scarbrough, Cooking Light, MARCH 2010
 
 

Instead of the bell peppers, I used a mix from Trader Joes called "Harvest Hodgepodge" get more veggies per serving. I also eliminated the butter all together and used a tablespoon of flax seed oil. I would definitely make this again!

Wednesday Links
Each week we have been featuring our favorite websites on Wednesday. Here is what I have been reading this week...

Eat
"My Recipes" includes recipes from Cooking Light, Sunset, Southern Living, All You, Real Simple and Health Magazines. They have a Dinner Tonight section which has some great ideas!

My Recipes - Dinner Tonight

Scrap
Scrapbooking has really taken a backseat lately. I have made a goal to finish my 2009 scrapbook by the end of the month. I am so close to being caught up! I started to look for some inspriration online and found the following site. I have never seen this magazine before but they have some really cute spring layouts!

Scrapbooking and Beyond Spring Layouts

Run
I am getting creative on this one. I have really changed my skin care since I have been running outside more as the seasons change. My skin gets really dry and red in the winter and then breaks out in the summer from the humidity. I have found that the Clinique SPF 25 Superdefense does the trick and helps with the dryness but doesn't over do it in the summer. Its expensive but usually lasts me about 6 months if I use it once a day. In the winter I combine it with the Pore Minimizer Refining Lotion which helps my pores stay tight. I love that this combo has sunscreen, anti-anging and a moisturizer all in one. On the weekends I usually just wear this but its light enough that you can wear both under your everday makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment