Friday, March 5, 2010

Exercise and Stress

For those new readers, you may not know that I was recently laid off from my job, and my last day of work will be May 14th.  The past few weeks I have had my hopes set on a new job at my same company, but I found out today that it isn't going to work out and I am back to job searching


Did I mention that I hate looking for a new job?  Even the thought of it stresses me out.  At least in the past when I have been looking for a new job it was my decision, which made the process at least a little more bearable.  But now I am forced to find a new job and it's stressing me out - big time! 


Now that I am almost fully recovered from my half marathon, I am hoping to get back into a regular exercise routine next week, and I am hoping that it helps with my stress levels

According to the Mayo Clinic website, Exercise Reduces Stresss in the following ways:
  • It pumps up your endorphins. Physical activity helps to bump up the production of your brain's feel-good neurotransmitters, called endorphins. Although this function is often referred to as a runner's high, a rousing game of tennis or a nature hike also can contribute to this same feeling.
  • It's meditation in movement. After a fast-paced game of racquetball or several laps in the pool, you'll often find that you've forgotten the day's dilemmas and irritations and concentrated only on your body's movements. As you begin to regularly shed your daily tensions through movement and physical activity, you may find that this focus on a single task, and the resulting energy and optimism, can help you remain calm and clear in everything that you do.
  • It improves your mood. Regular exercise can increase self-confidence and lower the symptoms associated with mild depression and anxiety. This can ease your stress levels and give you a sense of command over your body and your life.

 I will start by going to the gym on the way home from work tonight and try to start the weekend off with a stress-free outlook!   My plan is to run a few miles in the morning and see how my leg is feeling.  I am getting antsy after doing no workouts all week! 


How do you handle your stress?  Are you able to stop stress before it happens, or do you have ways in which you deal with your stress once it starts to set in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment