Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sunglasses, Tank Top and a little Buffett!

...yes, I am still in Ohio, but it is 65 and sunny, and I had Jimmy Buffett and the Zac Brown Band on my iPod. ! I decided to leave work and head to my favorite running spots which one of my girlfriends introduced me to a few years ago. It consists of 8 hills and is conveniently on the way home. Here is a breakdown of the run...

- Approximately 4.7 miles
- 8 hills with the longest hill averaging approximately 3 minutes. (Some are so steep you are starring at your feet as you make your way up!)
- Great interval training

I walk for about a minute at the top of each hill, give or take a few. The longest hill is at the beginning and end of the workout and is followed by about a 5 minute run back to the start. (You repeat 4 hills twice.) Its a tough workout. No matter how many times I run it, it always kicks my butt! Its in a great city neighborhood so there are lots of runners outside and lots of fun restaurants and shops to look at.

I haven't done this run in about 6 months because of the weather and I was reminded of how great interval training is. Overall I burned 586 calories in 52 minutes with a maximum heart rate of 182 and a minimum of 112. Not too bad!  

How do you get your interval training in? Do you think its beneficial? 

I am hoping that it helps me up my mileage past my 6 mile comfort zone. I plan on having a date with the hills next week too! Now its time for a few green beers (or maybe just a glass of wine!)

Happy St Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment