Sunday, March 7, 2010

Yoga Meltdown

This weekend we are dog sitting which meant we had a wake-up call at about 7:00am this morning. I decided since I ran 5.5 miles yesterday outside that today I was going to wrap up my weekend with some yoga because I am a little sore and coming down with a cold. I have been waiting to try the Jillian "Yoga Meltdown" all week!

First let me say that this yoga DVD is not traditional yoga. While you do do a few sun salutations and you basic poses, Jillian works in her cardio by adding movements to the poses. I did not wear my heart rate monitor, but my guess is in 30 minutes you can burn about 200 calories. Here are a few few things I enjoyed.

1. The workout is tough. There is a lot of core work and just enough movement to break a sweat. This is not as hard as her other DVD's, especially the Metabolism Boost, but its not easy. Lots of planks and side planks for you yoga followers.

2. The DVD comes with 2 workouts, easy and intermediate. I did the easy one and there are still ways I could make it more difficult which is nice when you want to change it up.

3. You don't have to be super flexible to do this. They show different varations for all levels.

4. The penguin is my FAVORITE running pose and she does a great stretch at the end that incoprorates this along with some other basic stretches. This is great to stretch out your hips.

5. I learned a new move, the Dolphin. It was actually fun! You go from an ab hold on your elbows to a downward dog, keeping your elbows in the same place. So it really works your entire core.

Overall, I will definitely do this again and start incorporating it into my "3" Jillian workouts a week. I am a little bummed because Exercise TV took away some of her workouts this month, but hopefully they will post some new ones! The other workouts that I have done of hers are the following:

Metabolism Boost - Bought the DVD
No More Trouble Zones - Exercise TV
30 Day Shred - #1 and #2, Exercise TV

My running increases this week for the 15k in April so I am still trying to figure out how to fit everything in. I'll post my workout later this week. Enjoy your Sunday!

If you have tried the new Yoga Dvd, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown is a lifesaver! I love that its not traditional yoga... its actually a hard workout!! Also very convenient that it comes in 2 different levels.
    I love all of Jillian's stuff on exercisetv.tv!!

    ReplyDelete