Saturday, March 6, 2010

Power Breakfast

I have been getting a lot of articles/emails about breakfast lately. I pretty much stick to 3/4 cup of granola and 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with flax seed everyday but have been feeling the need to change it up. Here are a few recipes I have found and am trying. Whats in your breakfast? I feel like a good breakfast alone will motivate me to get up and get going!

Green Monster (from Healthy Tipping Point)
1 cup of Rice Milk
2 cups of raw spinach
1/2 banana
- I am excited to try this one because I keep reading about how great spinach is for you! Plus I have a ton of frozen bananas I need to use!


Breakfast Sundae (I got this from a Runner's World Article)
Slice a banana over eight ounces fat-free vanilla yogurt. Mix with two tablespoons peanut butter and 1/4 cup high-protein, high-fiber cereal with at least five grams of protein and fiber per serving, such as Kashi Go Lean Crisp. Sprinkle with two teaspoons cinnamon.

Protein Shake Recipes
Sometimes I make these ahead of time and put them in the freezer. Then in the morning when I work out I let them defrost! These are from my favorite Biggest Loser - Tara Costa.

Protein Shake Recipes


Oatmeal Custard
I have posted this one before but its REALLY good and super easy to make. I make it on the weekends and then eat up single servings when I am ready to eat it.

2 3/4 c. water
1 cup uncooked rolled oats ( not quick cook or instant)
1/2 c egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
1/4 c. sugar or sugar substitute
1 1/3 c. skim or fat free milk
1/2 t. vanilla
1/8 t. salt
1/3 c. dried, fresh or frozen fruit ( I have used fresh and frozen peaches and berries)
1/2 t. cinnamon
Boil 2 3/4 c. water and stir in oats. Return to boil, reduce heat and continue to boil. Cook uncovered about 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
In large bowl mix, egg, sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Add the cooked oatmeal, fruit and cinnamon. Pour into 8 inch square pan coated with cooking spray. Place pan in larger pan of hot water ( this is what makes the custard consistency). Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment